A Kavanah for Fair Trade Chocolate and Coffee for your Mishloach Manot by Rabbi David Baum©

A Kavanah for Fair Trade Chocolate and Coffee for your Mishloach Manot by Rabbi David Baum©



This piece of chocolate that I hold in my hand is much more than what it seems.  As I hold it, smell it and feel the texture of it, I know that I have helped to bring the workers who planted and picked the cocoa beans a chance to create their own lives; to be self-sufficient.[1]  The taste of this chocolate is the taste of freedom and dignity.  Holy Blessed One, I ask that you help me realize my potential as a partner in creation with You – that with this small piece of chocolate along with this small bag of coffee, I can help create a more just world, a world where we can ensure that no one is oppressed with the foods we buy and sell.[2] 

Baruch Attah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech HaOlam, She-Hakol Nihyeh Bidvaro




[1] Rambam, Mishneh Torah, Laws of the Gifts to the Poor 10:7
[2] Leviticus 25:14

(photo from The Frog Blog)

Comments